2 ripe bananas, mashed with a potato masher or fork
1/3 cup large flake oats
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
Coconut, Pecans, Fried banana, Berries, Maple syrup
1. Mash bananas in a large bowl, mix in eggs.
2. Mix in chia seeds, oats, cinnamon and vanilla, let sit for just 2-3 minutes.
3. While you wait for the oats and chia to soak up the mixture a little, turn your pan on medium heat and add in your coconut oil. Once your pan feels nice and hot, use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop out your batter and pour into your frying pan. Flip when the edges look cooked.
4. Once cooked, serve and top with your choice of toppings or just a light spread of butter and a hint of maple syrup.
*Have a little taste before you add your toppings. They are quite delicious just on their own, it will give you an idea of how little sweetener you need to add.
Steel Cut Oats All Dressed Up
Let's try and get away from box cereals and try to look towards foods that are closest to their natural state.
Serves 1 - Prep Time: Less than 5 minutes - Cook time: 25 minutes
1/3 cup steel cut oats
1 pitted and halved date
2 Tbsps. raw pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsps., freshly ground flax seeds
2 Tbsps. nut butter
sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
milk or milk alternative
1. Add steel cut oats and the date to a pot of water. Bring to a boil and simmer until no longer watery (about 20-25 minutes)
2. Top with banana, pumpkin seeds, flax, nut butter and milk (I use oat milk).
If you are someone who gets hungry shortly after eating a grain breakfast this is for you. If you have an underactive stomach or feel full for a long time after eating, I recommend leaving out the banana and nut butter.
Sweet Potato and Eggs
The perfect combo of sweet and spicy. Here we are trying to limit the amount of refined carbohydrates (like bread) and stick to wholesome foods.
1 large slice of sweet potato, about 1/4 inch thick (you can also use left over sweet potato)
1/2 an avocado
2-3 Tbsps. kimchi (salsa is a great substitute)
salt and pepper for seasoning
1. If having boiled eggs, boil eggs now.
2. Add a touch of avocado or olive oil into a frying pan on medium heat. Add the sweet potato and cover with a lid. Allow for it to cook for 5-10 minutes on each side until it is easily punctured with your spatula and remove.
3. If having fried eggs, fry them in the same pan used for the sweet potato
4. Top the sweet potato with your avocado, eggs and kimchi.
Boiled Eggs and Greens
Trying to get your greens in? This is an easy way to do it.